Summer vacation is approaching fast and that means more free time, more fun, and oftentimes, more sweets for your kids. This summer, keep your kids’ smiles clean, cavity-free, and protected with these six simple tricks!
- Rather than filling up your fridge with chewy candy and sugary popsicles, try stocking up with fresh fruit. By offering snacks like fruit salad, apples and peanut butter, and fresh picked cherries, your kids will be more likely to satisfy their sweet tooth with snacks that don’t lead to cavities!
- Sending your kids to sports or camp? Be sure to pack water bottles with them rather than sugary sports drinks and sodas. The amount of sugar in those drinks is often more than the average person consumes in a day and can be easily swapped out with water. Looking for a way to mix it up? Try adding fresh fruit to your kids’ bottles for a twist.
- One of the most common places for dental injuries to occur in the summer is right by the pool. Running on slippery surfaces, diving into shallow water, and breaking other “pool rules” can easily lead to a knocked out tooth and an emergency trip to the dentist. To avoid this, make sure your children are aware of all rules and that someone is supervising at all times.
- Summer is a great time for sports, games, and summer camp. Make sure your kids’ smile stays intact and injury-free by supplying them with a correctly fitted mouth guard and a helmet with a mask when needed.
- Although summertime is perfect for relaxing and getting out of a daily routine, make sure your kids keep up with their daily dental rituals. Help them pack their toothbrushes and floss when going to a sleepover, don’t let late nights be an excuse to skip brushing, and make sure that they brush in the morning before going out to play.
- Don’t forget about your child’s six month checkups. Now is a great time to continue taking care of their smiles. Make your appointment today!